[fpc-pascal]Re: fp under Windows

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 16:56:33 CET 2001

>At 11:45 PM 02/09/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>
>Well, i doubt that. First of all they changed the name as i mentioned to
>"Command prompt" and if i would gamble, i would make a bet that "console
>mode" will be available even in all future versions too.

But it's not *DOS*. It's an *emulation* of DOS. A lot of DOS software is incompatible
with it and/or has issues (I'm thinking especially of games here..)

>You even can start
>W2K in a "recovery console mode" which doesn't have a GUI either.

You can't exactly do very much with it tho can you? And it's also still a window,
not plian DOS (in 2000 at least.)

>And even on Linux you still have console access... ;-)))

Linux has little to do with DOS and Windows console mode though ;)

>Sorry, Matt, but I think this is one of those exaggerated anti-Windows
>attitudes.

Yeah, but are you a programmer who uses Windows every day? Believe me, if something
goes wrong, it's a hell of a lot easier to shut it down in NT. NT is far more
stable than 9x period. I'm using 98SE at the moment.. I used to have 2000 on
this machine, but the hard drive died before Christmas. I figured it would be
interesting to try 98 (only had a 1 giger in my 'spage box').. I'm still regretting
it now!!  I've not had the time/money to replace the dead drive, and so I tend
to use my company Laptop (and 2000) all the time now (excep for the Net.)

>I use Windows 95SR2/98SE, Windows ME, NT4.0 and W2K every day at
>home and at work and i have only minor problems with ALL of them (and Linux

>too).

I like 95SR2.. it's okay.. but 98 sucks ass.. sorry, I can't stand it. Same
machine, same spec - runs like a dog. The only difference is the Hard Drive,
and to be honest, that shouldn't make *this* much of a difference.

>I get my work done on all of them, and that is what matters (at least
>to me)....

Different horses.. ;)

Matt