[fpc-devel] Wrong debug info when using clang backend

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 16 14:22:50 CET 2023

On 14/12/2023 08:41, Adriaan van Os via fpc-devel wrote:
> Jonas Maebe via fpc-devel wrote:
>
>> I'd rather not introduce directives that are specific to clang, and
>> especially none only apply to the next loop. We don't have a single
>> directive yet that works like this.
>
> The latter is a good point and that's why I would suggest to make their
> Pascal equivalents valid, not for the next for-loop, but
> until-otherwise. Then, a loop can be explicitely targeted with {$push
> ...} and {$pop}.

I don't think that makes much sense. Most of the time, the loops in a
single source file will be quite different and need different explicit
unroll instructions, if any. There is a reason why they only apply to
the next loop in clang.

It's just that directives don't work very well in that context, and
hence my initial suggestion to use attributes instead. I'm by no means
married to that proposal, but I don't think directives are a good
approach either.

Jonas