[fpc-devel] Fix for an annoying error

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:01:09 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:53 PM Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I also discussed this on the
> fpc-devel list, musty have been august this year, since around that
> time I created my "unlinkcommondll" utility as a workaround.

Indeed:
Building trunk of today fails on Windows: Error: Invalid DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\common.dll, invalid header size
Sat, Aug 21, 11:35 PM
fpc-devel ML

Here's how I managed to fix it.
===
Finally good news.

In taskmanager I had to stop one process,then go to services, find
xtu3service.exe, right-click, then "open services", find that service
again (now called XTUOCDriverService) in the newly opened window,
right-click, select properties, then set Startup type (? "Opstart
type") to Disabled.

After a reboot I was able to rename that common.dll to _common.dll,
rebooted again.
All this as administrator of course.

Finally after all that I was able to build fpc for 32-bit.
===

And if that does not work maybe this can help?

Looking with Windows Explorer at the Common.dll in question:
Productname: Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility
The guide on how to remove this utility:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html
That unfortunately did not work for me, hence the solution above.

At least it may give you some clues where to start.

--
Bart