[fpc-devel] Fix for an annoying error

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:53:09 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:42 PM J. Gareth Moreton via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Yeah, that's the exact same file that I have problems with.

That file links to many more libs trhat I don't have, which does not
create a problem when building (it would of course not run).
It's just that you happen to have a common.dll in the wrong place that
makes the process grind to a halt.
Notice that windows will allways find that dll, even if you set %path%
to only the path of the compiler and make.

I would suggest trying to remove the dll.
Since it is used by the system you have to hunt down which service needs it.
(That was the hard part IIRC. I think I also discussed this on the
fpc-devel list, musty have been august this year, since around that
time I created my "unlinkcommondll" utility as a workaround.)
The shutdown and disable that service.
The reboot.
Then rename the dll (so that you can restore it in the unlikely event
that your windows stops functioning).

--
Bart