[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 16:00:10 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org>
wrote:

> E.g. where in this very long thread do the proponents actually balance
> the need for a language feature against an IDE feature (to decode a
> multiline string in + form into a popup, let user perform edit, and then
> + it again).
>
> Where did the _proponents_ consider downsides as behaviour with
> unbalanced strings?
>
> Nowhere. It is all about bullying the feature in. "need" + "some other
> language has it" -> "language feature" must happen. Shortest route, no
> detractions or other opinions please!

The "introduce a convoluted Lazarus CodeTools feature" thing is not an
equivalent solution as it *entirely* rules out everyone who does not use
Lazarus.

There are no downsides with unbalanced strings. As I keep saying, it
doesn't work like that.

Lastly I did not say anything about "some other langauge has it". Sure,
they *do*, but that's not part of my reasoning. My reasoning is
specifically about increasing the usability of *Pascal.*