[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Tony afmcc at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 5 11:48:59 CEST 2019

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 12:00:07 +0200
Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org> wrote:

> In conclusion:  it is a solution in search of a problem, with bad
> behaviour in errorhandling (when unbalanced the compiler errors on
> perfectly fine code in the wrong place after whatever ' closes the
> unbalanced ) on top of it.
>
> This is why the feature goes against the grain of Pascal IMHO.

Well said Marco!  I have been reading this mailing list for some time
and have been disturbed recently-ish by how often suggestions come up
for "my pet feature from another language" or "a cool idea I just
had" (I am probably doing an injustice to some of the suggestions, but
often they feel deeply un-Pascal-ish - I can't define it but I know it
when I see it).  In these circumstances, a healthy scepticism and
conservatism among the development team is a good thing.

Tony