[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speed for Linux x86 / LLVM

Simon Kissel simon.kissel at nerdherrschaft.com
Sun Oct 28 12:46:45 CET 2018

Hi Florian,

> But there is another pretty simple optimization opportunity in this
> area: make the FPC heap manager capable of using
> os-based memory reallocation. Kernel-based memory reallocation of
> large blocks has the big advantage that the OS can
> move the memory contents only by re-mapping memory pages.

I fully agree that the memory manager for obvious reasons is
an important subject, especially for heavily multithreaded code,
and even more for any string stuff in such code. I haven't
informed myself enough to judge how well the FPC memory manager
behaves in this regard, and if it might make sense to try
to use an alternative memory manager with FPC for Linux.

However, being aware of that, we are avoiding reallocations
wherever we can and instantiate pretty much every thing using
own memory caches.

Simon