[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speed for Linux x86 / LLVM

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Oct 28 09:13:10 CET 2018

Am 28.10.2018 um 02:24 schrieb Ben Grasset:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 8:22 PM Ozz Nixon <ozznixon at gmail.com <mailto:ozznixon at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     * Sorry for off topic - just that grabbed my "What did he just say?" button..
>

> Huh? I said "Also linked lists absolutely everywhere, that would perform much better as array based lists."

Only if it does not increase memory fragmentation which is even now already a problem.

But there is another pretty simple optimization opportunity in this area: make the FPC heap manager capable of using
os-based memory reallocation. Kernel-based memory reallocation of large blocks has the big advantage that the OS can
move the memory contents only by re-mapping memory pages.