[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Sep 23 19:26:12 CEST 2014

Il 23/09/2014 18:00, Boian Mitov ha scritto:
>  Hi Giuliano,
>
> I was not talking hypothetical example.
> All of our products use this technology. Again, what you are telling
> me is some suggestion for probable solution, but even when you do it,
> you immediately add additional code and containers (list) just to
> support it due to the lack of ref counting.
> This immediately allows me to argue that your solution will use more
> memory and will be slower as it needs additional containers and
> support code altogether. So you basically are reconfirming yet again
> the advantages of using ref. counting.

I didn't claim that your example was hypothetical.
I just argued that it's a very specific implementation.

Maybe I'm simple minded but I still have some pain understanding how a
producer thread may manage to send an object to a one or more consumer
threads which a) are unknown to it, and b) may not yet exist. Again not
an hypothetical case. Just a different application frame.

Giuliano