[fpc-devel] Crash while compiling fpc 2.7.1 on ARM

Michel Catudal mcatudal at comcast.net
Wed May 29 18:15:35 CEST 2013

Le 2013-05-29 03:01, Paul Ishenin a écrit :
> 29.05.2013 14:06, Michel Catudal пишет:
>
>> The one that I compiled before the code was broken
>
> To answer on your question I need to know paticular compiler version.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul Ishenin

Here is more detailed info. I guess my answer was a bit too short, I did a quick answer last night after I finally got firefox 20.0.1 compiled on odroid U2. The ebuild that comes with funtoo has probably never been tried on ARM, a few things would
compiled, the patch were minimal. If anyone is interested I can give my patches.

When I installed funtoo I compiled fpc-2.6.0 which came with the standard funtoo portage
That version worked but lazarus would not work with it.
I then went on to compile the dev version  2.7.1 , it would crash. The strange part is that a few weeks prior it would compile fine on mele A2000G. I passed the arguments for hard float, that is how I got lazarus to work.

I did some experiment and found out that the fpc.zip snapshot still worked while the fpcbuild.zip one would crash.
I didn't realize until a bit later that I needed to erase the manifest file and move the fpc.zip file from the distfiles directory to force it to use the latest snapshot. This is why it worked. Once I recreated the manifest file on the ebuild directory the
compiling would no longer work.
When I compared the fpc.zip to the code in fpcbuild I saw that they didn't match at all.
I am not sure that this fpc.zip is the last one that worked. It is dated may 6th.

part of the ebuild that worked :

HOMEPAGE="http://www.freepascal.org/"
DESCRIPTION="Free Pascal Compiler"
SRC_URI="ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/trunk/source/fpc.zip"
SLOT="0"

I had to copy the source on a directory that would satisfy lazarus since this is not the standard fpcbuild code.

revision may 6th :
Revision: 24455
Last Changed Rev: 24455

Here is when I run fpc, the date shown is the date that the compiler was created

michel at michel /usr/local/portage/dev-lang/fpc $ fpc
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.7.1 [2013/05/18] for arm
Copyright (c) 1993-2013 by Florian Klaempfl and others

Here is the newer one

michel compiler # pwd
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/fpc-2.7.1-r2/work/fpcbuild/fpcsrc/compiler

michel compiler # ./ppc1
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.7.1 [2013/05/28] for arm
Copyright (c) 1993-2013 by Florian Klaempfl and others

This one is crashes trying to create the RTL files. I made sure that it took the lastest snapshot. Perhaps there should be a date in the filename so it would be easier to track.

With the version that I have that works, I have done a few test and it never crashes. I didn't do very extensive tests yet. I was more concerned with getting something that someone else would be able to create without me having to provide some forked version.
There may well be issues, I will do more tests later on.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal