[fpc-devel] Problem with fpcmake when doing crossbuild

Michael Ring mail at michael-ring.org
Tue May 28 10:59:24 CEST 2013

I was having troubles today installing ppcrossarm from trunk, I have a
workarround for the problem but I question myself how to really fix the
problem:

SUBARCH=armv7m
make clean buildbase CROSSINSTALL=1 OS_TARGET=embedded CPU_TARGET=arm
SUBARCH=$SUBARCH CROSSOPT="-godwarfsets -gw2 -O-"
BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-none-eabi-

works fine. But then installation goes wrong because fpcmake was not
build, but it is needed for installation (Question is why it is
necessary to invoke fpcmake at all;-)).

I can fix this by adding:

make  -C utils/fpcm bootstrap 'FPC=/Users/ring/devel/fpc/compiler/ppc'
OS_TARGET=darwin CPU_TARGET=i386

to my buildscript, but my guess is that this should better be added to
the buildbase rule, there's an entry for that in the build rule

*ifdef CROSSCOMPILE
         $(MAKE) -C utils/fpcm bootstrap $(BUILDOPTS)
endif*

I have added this rule to my makefile, seems to work. I have no idea if
I break anything by adding this to the makefile

fpcmake is now created in directory utils/fpcm/fpcmake

Now installation nearly works, last problem is that FPCMAKE path gets
defined wrong as:

make -C embedded all
/Users/ring/devel/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/i386-darwin/fpcmake -p
-Tarm-embedded Makefile.fpc
make[2]: /Users/ring/devel/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/i386-darwin/fpcmake: No
such file or directory

I can fix this by defining FPCMAKENEW to the real position of fpcmake
after the build:

sudo  make installbase CROSSINSTALL=1 OS_TARGET=embedded CPU_TARGET=arm
SUBARCH=$SUBARCH CROSSOPT="-godwarfsets -gw2 -O-"
BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-none-eabi-
FPCMAKENEW=/Users/ring/devel/fpc/utils/fpcm/fpcmake

At this point I ask myself if this error exists because I did something
wrong building fpcmake.

Any ideas?

TnX,

Michael