[fpc-devel] Is target mips-embedded possible / planned?

Michel Catudal mcatudal at comcast.net
Wed May 22 22:59:20 CEST 2013

Le 2013-05-22 03:26, Michael Schnell a écrit :
> On 05/15/2013 12:11 PM, Michael Ring wrote:
>> If you find the time to find out how to actually start up & use their gdbserver I will be more than happy to integrate it into lazarus, right now I take what I can get and that seems to be openocd.
>

> I don't think the term "gdbserver" is correct here (in a traditional way).
>
> An IDE (such as DDD, Eclipse, Lazarus, ...) is supposed to access the "normal" gdb via the normal line interface (pipe), while gdbserver (aka the "gdb stub") is supposed to be accessed via the gdb (main) program itself via a dedicated gdb-internal pipe.

Not true. When debugging an AVR32 gdb is called avr32-gdb, a pic32 gdb would be called pic32mx-gdb. avr32-gdb talks to avr32gdbproxy for debugging and avr32program for programming. You could have a gdb version that talks directly thru jtag if you would
spend the time writing it. You cannot use the on board gdb to debugger a foreign processor.

> That  is why there are two ways to make Lazarus do remote (and potentially cross-arch) debugging:
>
> (A) Use gdb (compiled for the PC arch, maybe with respect to the target arch in order to allow disassembling etc) on the development PC and have it access gdbserver (compiled for the target arch) on the remote machine e.g. via a TCP/IP socket pipe.

gdb has to be compiled for the target otherwise it will only support local opcodes.

> (B) Have Lazarus via ssh start and access the command line of the normal gdb main program on the remote machine compiled for the target arch.
>
> -Michael

The remote PIC32 or AVR32 do not have an operating system so it is illogical to think that there would be a gdb on that end.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal