[fpc-devel] Re: weird interaction with gdb / stepping / 2.7.1

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed May 15 13:01:27 CEST 2013

I got the attached sample from one of the 2people. With the instructions
below:

> Attached a small program that shows ME the problem
> Included is the generated laz.log.
> My breakpoint is on line 39 in unit1.pas
> As soon as I hit the AnsiSTRING variable named xstring the debugging
> jumps to FOnClick(Self) in control.inc

I have no 64 bit linux to test myself. I therefore do not know, if it
will indeed reproduce.
According to the reporter, it happens with stabs and dwarf.

I am not sure which versions of gdb (the reporter had 7.5.1) Testing
with an upgraded 7.5.9 or 7.6 is of limited use, since both crash easily
if debugging fpc generated apps.

If the report is correct, then apps generated with fpc 2.7.1 may not be
debug-able in gdb (unless you want to step through ansistring internals)

Maybe someone can give it a try?

And if it is reproducible, find if it is fpc or gdb?