[fpc-devel] weird interaction with gdb / stepping / 2.7.1

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue May 14 12:03:41 CEST 2013

I have 2 matching reports (but so far unable to reproduce myself)

- both are 64 bit
- at least one is linux and uses gdb 7.5.1
   I believe the other is linux too, not sure what gdb, (and he tested
on win (not sure 64 or 32bit) where it did not happen)
   [ this may point to a linker issue (maybe) ]

- They both state, that they did not use optimization, or smart linking

When stepping (step over) GDB suddenly stops in fpc_ansistring_copy (or
other functions in the RTL that are called during the step)

I am seeking for any ideas....

I know it likely is to be something in GDB and needs to be asked there.
But it appears to react to some diff bthat happened in fpc (2.6.x) seems
not to trigger it).

And other than the fact that those functions are optimized, and do not
have a full gdb detectable stackframe, there is nothing I could suspect....

possible: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=14399