[fpc-devel] ARM V7 Hard float issue

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed May 8 11:11:29 CEST 2013

On 07 May 2013, at 19:42, Johan Kotze wrote:

> I am trying to build fpc and Lazarus for ARMHF for a pcDuino. The
> processor is an AllWinner A10. I used fpc 2.6.2 to build fpc 2.7.1
> from source. When I compile a test program with the following
> parameters
>
> fpc -dFPC_ARMHF -Caeabihf -Cparmv6 -Cfvfpv3_d16  test.pas

FPC's ARM supported is implemented such that you have to specify the
kind of ABI you want to support when building the compiler binary
itself. You can do so via the OPT="xx" make option. So add OPT="-
dFPC_ARMHF" when building FPC 2.7.1, and you will get an ARM compiler
that generates ARMHF code/binaries. Adding -dFPC_ARMHF when compiling
a program will not change anything.

We should give an error if you try to use any -Ca* parameter with the
ARM compiler (other than for the ABI for which the compiler has been
built), since it will never work properly anyway. Or fix the ARM
compiler to correctly deal with different ABIs at compile time rather
than only at compiler build time, but other developers don't like that.

Jonas