[fpc-devel] Xlib and XCB: any plans?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:36:43 CET 2012

I thought that is exactly what I said.  :-)

> Also even if Wayland is successful it will take some time till the distros
> supply it (not to mention as default).

True, but Wayland seems to be the most promising X11 alternative - and
there has been many attempts over the years. Also if or when Wayland
arrives, X11 should still be supported, and your current Xlib
implementation of your toolkit wouldn't magically disappear. So you
have time to spare.

Then again, GTK, QT and some other GUI toolkits are already making
good progress with there Wayland support. Ubuntu is also going to push
Wayland support hard, and Fedora has also shown positive interest in
Wayland. That's to big Linux distros already.

But I wouldn't remove Xlib support in fpGUI any time soon. Why?
Because even if Wayland is a 100% success story, it is ONLY for Linux
(it currently takes advantage of Linux-only features). I still want
fpGUI to support the *BSD systems, Solaris etc.

Again, I wouldn't bother with a XCB specific binding. The gains are
just too little, and as I already showed, the current XLib
implementations (and least on Linux) are already wrappers around XCB.

  - Graeme -