[fpc-devel] Xlib and XCB: any plans?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:05:13 CET 2012

Am 04.03.2012 21:46, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> I wouldn't waste my time on XCB. XLib is not going to disappear. Plus
> Wayland is on it's way, which means you would probably have to change
> to that anyway.

Wayland is not the same as X11. If one wants the CustomDrawn widgetset
(or fpGUI for that matter) to support Wayland natively and not through a
X11 server that runs on top of Wayland then one needs to use completely
new bindings.
Also even if Wayland is successful it will take some time till the
distros supply it (not to mention as default). Also Wayland can
currently only be used if the graphics driver supports kernel mode
setting which e.g. embedded devices which might be capable of running
X11 do not necessarily have. So support for X11 (be it through XLib or
XCB) is not a waist of time.

Regards,
Sven