[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 22 14:17:36 CET 2012

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 21/12/12 16:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> Cutting out a whole lot of crap: as somebody very much on the periphery
>> of the project, I'm disappointed to see sentiments of this tenor being
>> aired in public.
>
> Mark, much of what happens with the FPC project seems to be done in
> secrecy, or a private "core only" mailing list. So it takes message
> threads like this to actually find out (for the rest of us) what is
> going on.
>
> It's an open-source project (not commercial), so I would have thought
> open discussions should be a given.

They most definitely are.

But sometimes you need to discuss with knowledgeable people,
without other people interfering.

Search the list archives:
The string type has been discussed many times on the mailing lists.
We have heard and listened to the wildest ideas.

Nothing wrong with wild ideas, who knows, maybe there is somewhere this brilliant
gem amidst of all the rough...

But in the end, it is us that will do the work.

So then we have some focused conversations about merits and drawbacks
in a private list, with some implementation details maybe,
but definitely without the noise of the public mailing list.

Otherwise we'd never reach a conclusion, let alone an implementation.
Which is what people are waiting for, after all.

So if you don't mind, we'll close the thread, otherwise we'll never
start on an implementation.

Michael.