[fpc-devel] Determin file size - how?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Dec 16 12:33:18 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> On 12/15/2011 04:48 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > Afaik neither Lazarus nor the textmode IDE currently provide fulltext
> > access to the help. Any help.
> I installed DocView in Lazarus. This creates a menu entry "Tools" ->
> "fpGUI DocView (ctrl-shift-F1)". This used to work nicely (providing
> cross-inf-file search) as well when called by this menu as when used as
> context sensitive help in a  Lazarus editor window and using this key
> combination for context sensitive help display.

I meant more that docview doesn't use the lazarus internal help
registration.

The textmode IDE has .INF support that doesn't relate to Graeme's efforts
afaik. (in TP dialect)

> > That used to be CHM based, but is now using CHM's successor. But that
> > is totally not crossplatform and the helpsystem is external to windows
> > and requires a license to install.

(CHMs are still available on the Embarcadero ftpserver iirc, though I
haven't checked for the last two versions)

> Yep. (Supposedly this is why DocView has been created.)

No, it doesn't. Graeme started working on it when CHM was already mostly
operational.  Most of his original arguments were based on disk sizes and
little implementation gotchas, not on functionality. I still don't see the
point of inf.

> Of course it is nice that in the Delphi Help you can installed third party
> CHM files.  I don't know whether CHM files we don't have a "source code"
> of can be converted to inf files.

Yes of course. The question is (1) why would you do that? (2) while possible
with some work, the quality of the .inf would be doubtful. You are
converting one markup to the next.

I actually looked into the other way around to provide tph and inf to chm support
so I could kill off those systems in the textmode ide.