[fpc-devel] Determin file size - how?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 11:05:43 CET 2011

On 16 December 2011 13:33, Marco van de Voort  wrote:
> Graeme started working on it when CHM was already mostly
> operational.

"mostly operational" doesn't entrust a lot of confidence.

>  Most of his original arguments were based on disk sizes and
> little implementation gotchas, not on functionality. I still don't see the
> point of inf.

For the record, disk size (even though the size difference is huge)
was largely a bonus feature. The speed of INF was a major contributor
(considering CHM is just an archive of very verbose HTML files). Also
the fact that any non-Microsoft CHM viewer absolutely sucks, and that
all but one [lhelp] of those are written in C/C++ [thus I can't
contribute] was another point to consider. LHelp's output also looks
terrible and is much slower than most CHM viewers.

I work 99% of the time under Linux, and the Linux CHM viewers all
suck. Slow, limited features, prone to crash etc. Creating DocView
gave me full control: the programming language I know and love,
something I can maintain, advanced searching [which is super fast],
runtime concatenation of INF files [extremely handy], auto Index
generation [configurable in the Option dialog], bookmark support, and
very importantly, inline help annotation support [something I use very
often].

  - Graeme -