[fpc-devel] Compiling fpc subversion on a AMD64 box with Win 7 64 bit OS

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Oct 30 14:51:21 CET 2009

On 30 Oct 2009, at 14:36, Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis wrote:

> Also, in the binutils dir i have a ppc386.exe 2.2.4 compiler for
> i386-win32.
> open a cmd prompt with administrators rights and i add :
> <RootPath>\fpc\source>set path=C:\Users\dimitris\Documents
> \Programming\FreePascal\binutils\i386-win32;
>                  C:\Users\dimitris\Documents\Programming\FreePascal
> \fpc\source\utils\fpcm;%path%
> <RootPath>\fpc\source>
>
> Now can someone fill the blanks so i can have a native x86_64
> compiler a i386 cross compiler and a arm-wince cross compiler ?

You cannot build an i386 cross-compiler on Win64, because the
"extended" floating point type is not supported by FPC on Win64
(because the x87, which is required for it, has been deprecated by
Microsoft on x86_64), and because the compiler does not yet internally
emulate required floating point types not supported by the host
platform. For an i386/Win32 compiler, you have to build/use a 32 bit
compiler.

So:

* native x86_64 compiler (assuming your fpc.exe in the path is an
x86_64 version)
make clean all -j 2
make FPC=\fpc\source\directory\compiler\ppcx64 install INSTALL_PREFIX=
\path\where\you\want\to\install

* 'native' i386 compiler
make FPC=\path\to\win32\version\of\ppc386.exe clean all -j 2
make FPC=\fpc\source\compiler\ppc386 install INSTALL_PREFIX=\path\where
\you\want\to\install

* ARM/wince cross-compiler
make CPU_TARGET=arm OS_TARGET=wince CROSSOPT="-FD\binutils\arm-wince"
clean all -j 2
make FPC=\fpc\source\compiler/ppcrossarm CROSSOPT="-FD\binutils\arm-
wince"  INSTALL_PREFIX=\path\where\you\want\to\install CROSSINSTALL=1
install

(well, the above should work anyway; I've never built FPC under Windows)

For further information and in case things don't work immediately,
please consult the build faq first: http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

Jonas