[fpc-devel] Lazarus: A new widgest set

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 29 12:08:43 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 11.27:47 Michael Schnell wrote:
> > Sure, it is the purpose of MSEifi to connect client MSEgui objects and
> > events with server events and data by the use of an universal client
> > program.
>
> Sounds good. Let me elaborate a bit more: The program in question needs
> to be ported from a a project running in Delphi.
>
> I do know how to port Delphi projects to Lazarus, and I do know how to
> debug using Lazarus, but I have no idea how to port Delphi projects to
> MSE and how to do debugging with MSE. Our programmers are trained on
> Delphi and I do feel that they will be able to work with Lazarus quite
> easily.

MSEide+MSEgui compiles with Delphi7 with exception of DB components and
therefore the adjacent MSEifi DB components. It should be possible to patch
FPC db.pas in order it can be compiled with Delphi. MSEide uses gdb as
Lazarus does, gdb integration of MSEide is possible a little bit better than
the Lazarus one (widestrings, dynamic arrays...). MSEide and Lazarus both
suffer from gdb problems on win32.

> I suppose you rather suggest to completely use MSE tools, but might it
> be a viable option to do the project in Lazarus and use MSEifi nonetheless
> ?

No, VCL/LCL widgets and MSEgui widgets are incompatible.

> Is it easy to install and try the MSE IDE ?

I can't believe it, you never tried MSEide+MSEgui? Installation instructions:
http://www.homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
and in README.TXT in the distribution.
For the ifipipe demo you need the SVN trunk version and the compiler
option -dmse_with_ifi.

Martin