[fpc-devel] fpdoc and fv

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 23 15:18:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Hi,  (mostly for Michael I guess)
>
> I've been spending some time to renew my familiarity with the IDE and FV, to
> do some minimal maintenance and fix some of the "old" bugreports.
>
> As by-product of this work, I thought to do some minimal documentation
> (wiki), and maybe update the objects/fv/ide classchart.(since I need that
> for myself anyway)
>
> The latter is the easiest question: is classchart.ps still the source of the
> pdf classchart ?

Not currently.
Someone else generates the pdf classchart from a OpenOffice spreadsheet.

> If so, what do the modifiers "ready","untested" etc mean?
> Maybe their meaning should be annotated in the source?

They could, but it would be better to remove the alltogether.

In general, the idea is to create the classchart from within
fpdoc. The idea is to create an XML file that simply has the
structure of the class tree:
<TObject unit="system">
  <TPersistent unit="classes">
    <TComponent>
    </TComponent>
  </TPersisent>
</TObject>

Should be easy to do. then a tool can be used which converts this
tree to PostScript or PDF or whatever...

> The second is a bit harder,
>
> I tried to run makeskel over the fv/ directory to try to generate some
> skeleton docs to have on the side, but it seems it fails on half of the
> files (next to empty XML). I first thought it didn't support the TP object
> model, but some classes are done.
>
> Before I start debugging, does sb know what that could be?

Not without the failure message...

Michael.