[fpc-devel] [RFC] fpdoc output comment from the source

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Dec 19 12:01:47 CET 2005

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, L wrote:

>> under the documents (who wouldn't?).
>>
>> The author, for one :-)
>>
>> The commenting system puts extra load on the server which I don't want.
>

> Amazon.com has a patent on one click shopping, I believe. I think I know why.
>
> Well, with the FindPart function, back 7 months ago.. I found an error in the docs
> regarding the Result/Return value. I reported it - but was too lazy to submit a
> patch. And guess what, the findpart error in the documentation is still there today,
> 7 months later.
>
> Wait a minute - *lazy* is actually the wrong word. Forget I said lazy. I'm far from
> lazy. I'm a hard worker. And yet my animal instinct still tells me that making a doc
> patch via the current setup, or adding a comment via the current setup, is not
> natural. My instinct, as an animal, is to leave the error in the docs and move on to
> other things. It's not one click shopping.
>
> My instinct, as an animal, when I arrive at the PHP website, is to correct the docs
> if I see an error. It's one click shopping.

Amazon is a company which can add servers at will.

The FPC servers are paid out of our own pockets, so things as 'load' etc.
form a big restriction.

If we had a separate server 'docs.freepascal.org' then there was no problem.
But we don't, so 'one click shopping' is not an option at this point.

Michael.