[fpc-devel]About IDE with FVISION

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 7 09:59:47 CEST 2001

At 08:36 07/08/01 , vous avez écrit:
> > 04  01 17:35, Peter Vreman wrote:
> > PV> The IDE is working again with the 1.1 development compilers. For linux
> > PV> a 1.1 IDE is already available in the snapshots directory. For go32v2
> > PV> and win32 it'll be monday or tuesday before it will be available.
> >
> > Is there a fvision source avaible to make IDE from source?
> > A CVS sources from date 2001/07/22 (22 jul) have problems.
>
>When you rename fvision to fv it is possible to build the IDE. But there
>are still some
>problems and the asciitable and symbol browser are excluded.

   FVISION is far from being stable :(

I am currently tring to get it to give at least correct display, but there
are still several big issues
related to using fvision.

    We got the fvsion code from Leon de Boer and we made several change
since that, but
there are several incompatibilities with Turbo Vision.

   The most important one is probably that in FVISION
the Origin field of a TView gets set relative to the
outermost owner (in general the Application itself) when it is inserted to
the owner.
In Turbo Vision, Origin is always relative to the first level owner only.

   This can lead to several complication and errors if :
  - you access the Origin field directly (especially if you change its value)
  - you insert the same view into several owner (which is bad programming,
but not
forbidden, even if it can lead to disposal problems later).

   The only solution to reallly achieve better compatibility
is probably to change all the internal FVISION code to
give a Origin field that is compatible with Turbo Vision.

   So if you are going to try the FVISION library out, don't forget about
these
points.

    Of course if anyone is willing to help us to get a more compatible
FVISION, or willing to implement some missing or incorrect units,
please raise your hands, you will be most welcome.