[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Fri Aug 12 12:27:24 CEST 2011

On 12-8-2011 11:07, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Just one hint: Android is a *lot* more then just drawing some
> graphics. For example: 1> Virtual keyboard. There are dozens and
> dozens, even widespread devices like Galaxy Tab come with non-standard
> keyboards, some of them only for China, some only for Taiwan. The
> manufacturers always make sure the standard widgets work fine with
> those keyboards, but custom drawn toolkits have a really hard time
> keeping up. And you can't test this with the emulator, you need 100+
> devices to make sure it works everywhere. I don't know what Qt did,
> but I bet it doesn't work with half of the virtual keyboards out there.
qt specifies Gingerbread (2.3) afaik. I may be wrong here.

Besides, it is a simple XML configuration file for the keyboard mapping
and if you want to use it: JNI is inconvienient but NOT difficult.
There is C++ code for IME softkeybord bindings available from the
android developer website.

 From the platform highlights 2.3:
"*Native input and sensor events*

Applications that use native code can now receive and process input and
sensor events directly in their native code, which dramatically improves
efficiency and responsiveness.

Native libraries exposed by the platform let applications handle the
same types of input events as those available through the framework.
Applications can receive events from all supported sensor types and can
enable/disable specific sensors and manage event delivery rate and
queueing."

> 2> Action completion. In standard apps you can for example click on a
> video and complete the action with any installed video player, and
> this requires access to the SDK which is only available from the Java
> side or from the bindings which I built
See the 2.3 platform highlights above.
> 3> Application lifecycle, also something different from other platforms
What do you mean? It isn't.( persé).
If your APK is packaged and signed correctly, an Android machine that
isn't supported won't see your app in the market. If that is what you mean.
I think this is rather neat/cute/wonderful and saves headaches.

> 4> Orientation change, the app needs to respond to it. With standard
> widgets it automagically works.
Also lower than 2.3 issue, but you have to provide for it in code or use
a browser approach, that's true.

I must say I am still playing and can't say I have things working in a
generic way. Just that some code that works in the emulator also works
on my Android machine and in a predictable manner.