[fpc-devel] Component FTag and Tag should be int64

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:28:39 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org
> wrote:

> They do the same as we:
>
> They introduced something like PtrInt (using of course a different name)
> and made tag equal to this type.
>
> Instead of biting the bullet and telling people to code properly.
>
> But like most companies, they are a bit of a prostitute in this regard.

This is precisely why I asked to create a Data pointer so components can
assign extraneous data and associate it with said component.

I see absolutely no legitimate argument as to why TComponent cannot have
such a field.  Memory is not a problem b/c if memory was a problem one would
not be designing using the TComponent descendant.  It would most likely be
record or class.

This is a legitimate design problem I have.  Typcial Tcomponents only
represent data.  Just like a TListViewItem.   Just because Delphi wants to
use Tag and we want to use actual data pointer  that does not invalidate the
team's decision to not expand the FPC platform.  But, I'm already starting
to automate my own svn changes over here - I'll just have my own version :-)