[fpc-devel] Component FTag and Tag should be int64

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:59:17 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <
> michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> They do the same as we:
>>
>> They introduced something like PtrInt (using of course a different name)
>> and made tag equal to this type.
>>
>> Instead of biting the bullet and telling people to code properly.
>>
>> But like most companies, they are a bit of a prostitute in this regard.
>>

> This is precisely why I asked to create a Data pointer so components can
> assign extraneous data and associate it with said component.

Andrew,
Creating TList as a field for storing extra structures and objects and
supporting extra data reference using Tag as an index never was a problem
for me. Can you tell a single reason not to implement this approach by
yourself?  Moreover managing the destruction of objects in this case is much
easier and straightforward.
Other consideration, if something starts to depend on future decisions of
other developers, isn't it easy to create a simple (very simple) workaround
:)

Max Vlasov