[fpc-devel] Unit linking to .obj files and fpcmake.

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Apr 11 12:03:54 CEST 2006

Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> Op Tue, 11 Apr 2006, schreef J. Peter Mugaas:
>
>> Before mentioning that the .obj files are not supported, I am aware
>> that this has not been tested.  I wish to see if this can work (you
>> don't know until you try).
>
> It is not a matter of .obj not been tested, it is a matter of the GNU
> linker not understanding .obj files at all. The GNU linker only eats COFF
> formatted .o files, if you feed it a .obj it will refuse.

Note that it shouldn't be difficult to get zlib.a compiled for Win32
target and link to that one if you really want to link to static version.

Furthermore, I believe that linking to a dynamic version should be still
possible even on Win32 platform. All platforms are still compiled from the
same ZLib sources after all, so you should be still able to check the
minimum required version number and/or provide your own binary version
within the installation package.

Tomas