[fpc-pascal] UTF-8 versions of Copy() and Length()

ik idokan at gmail.com
Sat May 19 18:59:30 CEST 2007

On 5/19/07, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/07, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> >
> > Only simple helper functions are in LCLProc.
> > A lower/uppercase Unicode function is not simple and when eventually
> > the LCL needs it, it would simply delegate the implementation to
> > the LCL interfaces, which can simply call the appropriate library
> > functions.
>
> Which is why you must love Open Source software. :-)
> Another Object Pascal based GUI Framework has already done all the
> work for us and they used a BSD license so we are free to use what we
> need.
>
> Have a look at the LPTK project on Source Forge. Two units called
> schar16.pas and unitkeys.pas
>
> It contains a lot of functions: Upper, Lower, Pos, Length, conversions
> from UTF-8 to UTF-16 and vice versa, character translations for
> Latin1-Latin4, Arabic, Kana, Hungarian, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Thai, etc...
>  Lots we can use!

The reason I started writing my own library is because I wanted pure
Pascal libraries to use things. I dislike bindings to other libraries
written in different languages (such as QT). "I have a dream" to see
native tools for all common needs written in pure (Object) Pascal.

Secondly, I'm non Latin native speaker, so I find the need for Unicode
on all of it's glory (and bad things) a must rather then something
that can only be "good" additional support.

On my code, you can see that I prepared the ground for working with
TWideStringManager.
Oh, and it's MIT license (not as restrictive as BSD license ;))

Ido

http://ik.homelinux.org/