[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 10:23:31 CET 2015

Hello Martin,

On 2015-03-15 20:49, Martin Frb wrote:
> I did judge your statement on it, that
>> /As 99% of developers would tell you, Git is simply// the better product./

My apologies if there has been some confusion. Probably down to a
language barrier issue.

In the context the usage of "99%" wasn't meant a specific number. It's
like saying "there are a 101 ways to skin a cat". You are not
specifically saying there is only a 101 ways (not 100, not 102). You
also don't actually want to remove the skin off a cat. :) [what a
terrible saying - I love cats] It is a generalised statement meaning "a
lot" or "the majority" agree there are many ways to accomplish something.

So to rephrase my quoted statement I could have said

"As the majority of developers would tell you, Git is simply the better
product at this stage".

If you want facts, then do a Google search. See the exponential growth
of projects migrating from SubVersion (or other systems) to Git. Qt,
KDE, Linux Kernel etc - they are massive projects and must have had very
good reason to move to Git.

Also observe the amount of new code storage services popping up - most
based around Git repositories. I personally have not observed recent
code repository services appearing on the internet boasting (or even
supporting) SubVersion. Surely that has to mean something.

Obviously you as a developer or company have to make your own choice -
evaluate the pros and cons of each code management system. How difficult
it would be to migrate and see what solution would benefit you in the
short and long term.

Regards,
  Graeme