[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 11:09:26 CET 2015

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> If you want facts, then do a Google search. See the exponential growth
> of projects migrating from SubVersion (or other systems) to Git. Qt,
> KDE, Linux Kernel etc - they are massive projects and must have had very
> good reason to move to Git.
>
> Also observe the amount of new code storage services popping up - most
> based around Git repositories. I personally have not observed recent
> code repository services appearing on the internet boasting (or even
> supporting) SubVersion. Surely that has to mean something.

What it means is that more hosting services find it convenient to offer
Git than find it convenient to offer Subversion, you've already claimed
that it's easier to administer. In other words, the end-user who's just
looking for somewhere to store his code simply doesn't get a choice.

A better metric might be finding somebody who offers a selection of VCS
protocols (possibly with a common backend- I believe such things exist?)
and then looking at the relative use for checkouts etc.

However as I've said already, the most important concern for me is not
the protocol so much as the jurisdiction.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk