[fpc-devel] DOS Platforms

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Thu May 26 17:42:08 CEST 2005

Vinzent Hoefler said:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 14:51, Tomas Hajny wrote:
 .
 .
>> recommend starting with this part (for building the compiler at least
>> - Win2K etc. provide better error checking mechanisms, so e.g.
>> SIGSEGVs can be completely undetected under W9x, whereas W2K shows
>> them immediately; I suspect the problem with exception handlers is
>> probably similar case, i.e. they don't work under W9x either, but
>> this problem is only signalized under WinNT and above).
>
> I don't think so. It seems as under W2K the processor exception handlers
> don't get installed at all, so they can't go bogus. ;)

What I meant here was that maybe W9x doesn't install them either, but
doesn't provide any feedback about that failure (so you don't get these
error messages when running under W9x, but the exceptions don't work there
either).

>> Makefile should be OK (see above). "Error setting exception" messages
>> only appear under WinNT and above. That could be either result of
>> better error checking (see above too), or an incompatibility of WinNT
>> and above - just that you don't fall into a trap too early...
>
> I did some checks, at the first glance it seems to be an incompatibility
> of the DPMI services. I'll look into that later when I get that bitchy
> thing working under Win9x hopefully.

Yes, either that (i.e. WinNT/2k specific issue, although I'm almost sure
that these error messages were displayed when running under WinNT in the
past, and I don't expect too many changes between WinNT and Win2k
regarding DPMI), or some problem with calling of those DPMI services
during installation of exception handlers in general (e.g. due to the
different calling conventions in 1.9.2+).

Tomas