[fpc-pascal] Compile time -> processor benchmark values

Hairy Pixels genericptr at gmail.com
Mon May 29 16:41:00 CEST 2023

> On May 29, 2023, at 9:24 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> FPC itself is single threaded. So for that the single thread rating is more important. However Lazarus (and fpmake) can parallelize the building of packages if they don't depend on each other. On the other hand this is only really important when rebuilding and not when doing normal builds.

I was curious about this, if the compiler was overhauled and it could be made multi-threaded could it compile each unit on a different thread? Maybe it would be complicated but if a unit graph was constructed   you could isolate units that don't depend on each other and compile them on their own threads right?

If I recall this is impossible currently because of the use of global variables.

Regards,
Ryan Joseph