[fpc-pascal] Compile time -> processor benchmark values

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon May 29 16:24:18 CEST 2023

Am 29.05.2023 um 15:23 schrieb Rainer Stratmann via fpc-pascal:
> Now I have a i7-3770S
>
> cpubenchmark says:
> Average CPU Mark: 6175
> Single Thread Rating: 2043
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770S+%40+3.10GHz
>
> I expect to buy a new computer with a i5-13400F or similar
> cpubenchmark says:
> Average CPU Mark: 25969
> Single Thread Rating: 3702
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-13400
>
> What is important for the compile time?
> The average CPU Mark that means more than 4 times faster?
> Or the single thread rating that means 1,8 times faster?
>
> Besides faster memory, ssd, etc.

FPC itself is single threaded. So for that the single thread rating is
more important. However Lazarus (and fpmake) can parallelize the
building of packages if they don't depend on each other. On the other
hand this is only really important when rebuilding and not when doing
normal builds.

So in my opinion I'd keep an eye on the single thread rating.

Regards,
Sven