[fpc-pascal] 3123 inherited not supported inside inline

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jun 24 17:31:43 CEST 2023

On Sat, 24 Jun 2023, Hairy Pixels via fpc-pascal wrote:

>> On Jun 24, 2023, at 10:11 PM, Hairy Pixels <genericptr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't this mean the compiler can dictate the binary size by inlining everything even if the programmer doesn't want that?
>
> and another thing, I have frequent problems with a crash which happens in
> an inlined function and it's now not possible to step into the code in the
> debugger.  Now I can disable the inline and step in the function but if it
> was auto inlined that would be really bad.  Maybe the debug info could fix
> this though?  It's a general problem with inlined functions anyway.

- You can disable inlining with a directive. One can envision that when
   compiling with debug info, no inlining is done.

- We're speaking about concepts. That the compiler's implementation has
   imperfections has no influence on the merits of the concepts themselves.
   It just means the implementation needs improvements.

Michael.