[fpc-pascal] Programming Pascal using an AI Chatbot

Dwight Schauer das at teegra.net
Tue Jan 3 18:26:45 CET 2023

Pascal is still limited with OpenAI ChatGPT unless you stick to very
core things in Pascal, and are patient to teach it about non-core things.

Limited compared Python and other languages. Asking it to do specific
things Python using standard modules give better results C++ with
something like Qt6.

Free Pascal is even more limited than C++ as far as what OpenAI ChatGPT
can provide.

OpenAI ChatGPT is still very useful for Free Pascal though.

On 1/2/23 15:05, Dwight Schauer wrote:
> I started a new chat and conducted a mock interview of it for a
> hypothetical programmer position.
>
> I had to give it the same benefit of the doubt I would give to humans
> on some answers as far as follow up questions to get the answer I was
> looking for.
>
> In just about every area it gave more comprehensive answers than any
> human could.
>
> And gave satisfactory correct answers in every other area.
>
> Discussed a variety of issues, low/medium/high level stuff,
> theoretical, hypothetical, troubleshooting, pros/cons of one approach
> over another, workplace scenarios, email/IT scams, etc...
>
> It matched or out performed a human on just about everything.
>
> Well, except for "what are your hobbies..." But it was able to
> comprehensively answer all non computer related hobby question I threw
> at it.

But it an illusion. While it may "sound impressive" if you try to test
if it has deep cognitive abilities knowing it was a limited AI, it would
fail, and fail miserably.

But in an interview with a person, if they answered all those questions
in the way that way, you would not really think to test their cognitive
abilities to that extreme.