[fpc-pascal] I am offering a $100 reward for linking static libraries

Karoly Balogh charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon Aug 22 17:13:34 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022, Anthony Walter via fpc-pascal wrote:

> I know in the past I had been able to compile / link libraries created
> with MinGW GCC on Windows. Parts of the problem also include determining
> which other static dependencies to link IN ADDITION to the order of the
> linking. Yes, the order makes a big difference.

Indeed, that is true. But if the linking order worked on Linux, it should
work on Windows too, I think.

> Unfortunately, many years ago (around 10) I lost or overwrote the bits
> of code I was using for static linking on Windows (using the correct
> linklib commands).

Please note that 10 years ago FPC might not have had an internal linker,
or it might not have been the default one on Windows. :) So this might be
the missing bit of info why it worked back then.

> I will try to recreate it again, using your suggestion of falling back
> to the external linker. If it works I'll send you a part of the reward.

Thanks, but it is not necessary. If it works, and you still would like to
send money, donate it to any charity of your choice instead.

Charlie