[fpc-pascal] First Version Vector Toolkit in OpenGL

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:44:55 CET 2021

@code

It's a bit weasely to claim immediate or retain based on how the underlying
implementation works. The UI toolkit is drawn using a vector based OpenGL
library. The library uses hardware vertex buffers, render buffers, and a
hardware stencil buffer (for anti-aliasing) to draw lines and shapes. With
regards to what people familiar with OpenGL would consider, this is the
opposite of immediate mode.

However, these vertex buffers are repopulated every frame and where the
entire scene is redrawn. This makes it seem to fall under the auspice of
immediate mode.

BUT

If you read up a few messages back, I described how you can enable render
buffers to save your work, and it's quite possible and even I'd say easy to
do with my framework. But it's an opt-in step.

HOWEVER

This UI toolkit is only an incidental part of the library I am writing. The
actual purpose of the library is to provide users with a very fast 2D
graphics system with a hardware accelerated backend to render vector
graphics. Further work will also include a Pascal object oriented interface
to the fairly robust, fast, and powerful Chipmunk2D physics engine. My
creating of this UI toolkit is only meant to give people writing physics
simulations, games, or graphical demos a means to select, input, or change
options for their physics simulation, game, or graphical demo. It is not
meant to be used as a general purpose UI toolkit.