[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Aug 12 11:02:50 CEST 2021

On 12/08/2021 02:02, Dennis Lee Bieber via fpc-pascal wrote:

> 	And... the local repository will add files for each committed change...
>
> https://www.dulwich.io/docs/tutorial/file-format.html
> """
> If you change a single line, another blob will be generated by Git each
> time you successfully run git add. This is how Git can fastly checkout any
> version in time.
> """

1) Afaik the OT is looking at only checking out. He isn't planing on
making any (local) commits.

2) yes, for every changed file you commit, a new blob is added (and new
tree objects too).
 From a users point of view, each blob contains the entire file (changed
and unchanged parts).
But git compresses those blobs.
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-repack#Documentation/git-repack.txt---windowltngt
So in the end, the disk space used is not that bad.
Still of course, it is significantly more, if you do a full clone,
rather than just a shallow (depth=1).

I don't know how big your ".svn" folder is, if you checkout a current
fpc/lazarus.
But as it was pointed out, cloning with depth=1 gives you about 50 MB of
compressed data, for files worth over 300MB.