[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Aug 12 08:21:43 CEST 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021, Dmitry Boyarintsev wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal <
> fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> It's like switching car brands from a VW to an Audi or so.
>> Some buttons are in different places, your key will maybe look different,
>> but that's it. It's a car, it brings you from a to b.
>>
> It's not switching brands, it's switching the type of the car.
> from a passenger i.e. to a bus.
> It's still a car, but the concept is a little different.
>
>> A file version system manages versions of files.
>> The actual commands differ a little, but that's it.
>>

> The human psychology. There were no particular problems for anyone to use
> SVN.
> It worked fine. So for the people it doesn't seem like an obvious reason
> for the change.
> The change is not recognized by the brain as a needed change, as a cure of
> some sort.
> Instead it's recognized as an unnecessary burden.
> (unlike switching from CVS to SVN)
>
> The same is happening with kids at school. They don't recognize the new
> knowledge as something useful.
> Instead they still treat the school as a burden.
> ---
> In the software we for some reason prefer to stick to "backwards
> compatibility"
> No matter how much it affects a project. (it's considered that retaining
> backwards compatibility is a positive effect).

Yes, because you break other people's code if you don't.

> However the same concept doesn't apply to the infrastructure for some
> reason.

No, because the consequences are entirely different:

Changing infrastructure is normally only affecting the team working with
it. If you change it, the effect is only for your team. The final product
is not affected:

For users that download the installer of FPC or Lazarus, it doesn't
matter whether we use git or SVN.

I can understand and up to a point relate to resistance against change,
but when I speak of 'no-brainer' I simply mean that it's not difficult to
learn or master another version system.

In the particular case of git, it's not like we switched to some obscure
unknown system, totally undocumented... The internet overflows with info
about git.

Michael.