[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:12:26 CEST 2021

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:50 AM Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal <
fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:22:54 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
> fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> ># Get sources
> >git clone https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source.git  $FPCVER
> ># switch to branch/tag
> >cd $FPCVER
> >git checkout $FPCTAG
> >cd ..
>
> How big a size is the git clone going to pull?
>
> By the looks of it I get the impression that the git clone will download
> every
> single tag/branch/commit etc ever done and then the git checkout activates
> the
> actual tagged file set?
> If this is correct then the size on disk will be too big.
>
> Now as I said I have not used git and for my day use cannot switch because
> we
> use properties of svn that are simply not available in git...

To retrieve a specific branch without history (I think this is
approximately equivalent to the svn co command) specify options --branch
(to specify which branch to check out),  --single-branch (to not pull in
other branches) and --depth (to limit the history that git pulls in):

git clone --depth=1 --branch fixes_3_2 --single-branch
https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source.git fpc-fixes_3_2

This example downloads about 46 MiB of data, which expands to around 309
MiB on disk, of which 50 MiB is git information.