[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 23:55:57 CEST 2021

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:22:54 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

># Get sources
>git clone https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source.git  $FPCVER
># switch to branch/tag
>cd $FPCVER
>git checkout $FPCTAG
>cd ..

How big a size is the git clone going to pull?

By the looks of it I get the impression that the git clone will download every
single tag/branch/commit etc ever done and then the git checkout activates the
actual tagged file set?
If this is correct then the size on disk will be too big.

Now as I said I have not used git and for my day use cannot switch because we
use properties of svn that are simply not available in git...

I *really* do not want to revert to getting fpc/lazarus from the distro manager
via apt and therefore be stuck with old code decided by someone else.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden