[fpc-pascal] Why can I not build fpc 3.0.4 with ppcarm 3.0.0 or 3.0.4?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:45:33 CEST 2020

On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 00:59:51 +0200, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>Today when I was setting up a Raspberry PiZero I was hit with this
>message when I was going to build fpc 3.0.4 (sources checked out from
>svn):
>
>Makefile:2790: *** The only supported starting compiler version is
>3.0.2. You are trying to build with ..  Stop.

It turns out that this was a grossly misleading error message!
The real problem was that the RPiZero is arm v6 and the seed compiler
downloaded was arm v7!

After changing to ppcarm 3.0.0 for arm6 the build works.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden