[fpc-pascal] Compilation speed on Apple M1

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Sat Nov 21 15:52:19 CET 2020

Op 2020-11-21 om 14:15 schreef Florian Klämpfl via fpc-pascal:
> Am 21.11.2020 um 12:54 schrieb Tobias Giesen via fpc-pascal:
>>
>> According to Geekbench, the single core performance on the new Mac is
>> around 1.8x as fast as my Intel Mac. Multicore is also much faster. I
>> wonder why I don't see the speed increase in compiling though. Yes I am
>> using different FPC and XCode versions, but I wonder what else could
>> have an influence? My project is very large and not divided into
>> packages, so I frequently need to recompile the whole project.
>
> Large parts of FPC are memory throughput limited so I suspect the M1
> is not that much better in this regard, not to mention that most
> likely the AAarch code generator is worse than the x86 one. x86
> received a lot of work in this field.

Some memory throughput details are here:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

M1 is listed as 96ns memory latency through a 128-bit bus.

A Zen3 (ryzen 5x00) should be 67-83ns depending on type of memory:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/2

which in dual channel mode afaik is also 128-bit.

Maybe it's possible that you build using an LLVM compiler the FPC with
native backend. As I do not use macOS, I have no clue how to do this
though.

Do the x86(_64) OSX(I) FPC compilers use binary object writers?