[fpc-pascal] Compilation speed on Apple M1

Tobias Giesen tobiasgiesen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:16:53 CET 2020

Hi,
many thanks for the replies! I actually think most of the time is used
by clang for assembling. If I can find out more precise details, I will
let you know. And it is already a little bit faster on M1 than on my Intel.

Kind Regards,

Tobias Giesen
Super Flexible Software GmbH & Co. KG

----

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 14:15:24 +0100
Florian Klämpfl via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Am 21.11.2020 um 12:54 schrieb Tobias Giesen via fpc-pascal:
> >
> > According to Geekbench, the single core performance on the new Mac is
> > around 1.8x as fast as my Intel Mac. Multicore is also much faster. I
> > wonder why I don't see the speed increase in compiling though. Yes I am
> > using different FPC and XCode versions, but I wonder what else could
> > have an influence? My project is very large and not divided into
> > packages, so I frequently need to recompile the whole project.
>
> Large parts of FPC are memory throughput limited so I suspect the M1 is not that much better in this regard, not to
> mention that most likely the AAarch code generator is worse than the x86 one. x86 received a lot of work in this field.
>
> Maybe it's possible that you build using an LLVM compiler the FPC with native backend. As I do not use macOS, I have no
> clue how to do this though.

Kind Regards,
Tobias Giesen

Super Flexible Software GmbH & Co. KG