[fpc-pascal] FPC development guiding.

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue May 5 08:51:23 CEST 2020

On 2020-05-04 20:30, popolony2k at popolony2k.com.br wrote:

Hi PopolonY2k,

  .
> One week ago I received some good news from MSX community, that FPC
> team
> is working on Z80 support to FPC (https://wiki.freepascal.org/Z80) and
> already built this version (I faced some problems to build but is
> something that I could help too).
>
> The reason why I entered this forum is because I'm very interested and
> excited to help FPC team to improve Z80 support and even adding support
> to MSX computers, because I have a big library made to be compatible
> with Turbo Pascal 3.0 for (CP/M80 and MSXDOS) and this library has a
> very complete support to several technologies related to MSX Computers
> (specific crt and conio support, memory mapped management system,
> DiskIO
> functions, IDE devices support, graphics support (soon) and so on).
>
> I would like to know, what are the steps I need to follow to start
> contributing with FPC team, (things like about coding style, code
> patterns) and all necessary documentation to stay tunned with other
> teams members direction.

I'm not directly involved in the Z80 port, but I can provide some
general information at least. I assume that you already know our bug
tracker and you clearly know at least one of our mailing lists. :-) This
one (fpc-pascal) is primarily intended as help for FPC users who need to
discuss how certain things might be done with FPC, etc. The mailing list
fpc-devel is meant for discussing topics related to further development
of FPC and thus probably more appropriate for most topics related to the
new port.

BTW, please be patient when sending your first e-mail to a newly
subscribed list, it usually takes at least several hours to get through,
but don't worry, all the following ones should be processed immediately.

Regarding coding style - apart from looking at the sources, you can find
some guidelines in the Wiki - https://wiki.freepascal.org/Coding_style.

If you want to contribute to the new port and/or its RTL, the general
solution is using our bug tracker. There might be some other options
(e.g. providing patches on Github), but the bug tracker is the general
one.

Tomas