[fpc-pascal] TFPGMap retrieving values

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 17:18:47 CEST 2020

Am 01.05.2020 um 16:12 schrieb Ryan Joseph via fpc-pascal:
> I've been starting to use the RTL so I'm not very familiar with it but I thought TFPGMap was supposed to be a hash table for fast lookup, so why does TFPSMap.Find using a binary search instead of computing a hash key and indexing into the array like that? Is this not the type I should be using in the RTL for a generic hash table? What even is TFPGMap supposed to be if it isn't a hash table?

It is a map. It maps keys to values. Nowhere does it say how the map is
implemented.

If you need to decide which map to use I suggest you to look at this
benchmark page: http://www.benibela.de/fpc-map-benchmark_en.html You can
select various of the maps that FPC supports (both ones distributed with
FPC and third party ones) and compare them.

Regards,
Sven