[fpc-pascal] Killing the mail list

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Mar 17 19:31:51 CET 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 08:55:00PM +0700, Ryan Joseph via fpc-pascal wrote:

> It's 2020 and the mail list is starting to really show its age.

With age comes wisdom.

> I don't get first messages from gmail

That sounds like a gmail issue.

> and my personal web host is whitelisted,

What does web hosts have to do with mailing lists?

> messages bounce when I use the wrong account by accident,

As they should.

> hard to search the archives,

I find my local archive of the list very easy to search.

> can't post images and code easily (big problem!),

Program HelloWorld;

Begin

    WriteLn('Hello, world!!');

End.

Seems easy to post code to me.  I haven't tried posting images.

> messages gets lost or un-threaded when subjects are incorrect,

Upgrade your mail client.  Modern mail clients should thread messages based
on Message-Id and In-reply-to headers, not subjects.

> Has there ever been any discussion into replacing it with a modern web
> based forum?

If the list is ever downgraded to an online forum, I will stop following it.
I've tried following a variety of online forms over the years.  I've never
managed to follow any of them for very long.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.