[fpc-pascal] FPC for Win64

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Jul 7 12:06:34 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-07 10:28, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 7. Juli 2020, 09:42:54 CEST schrieb Marco van de Voort:
>> Op 07/07/2020 om 09:14 schreef Rainer Stratmann:
>> > For Linux: Does that mean apt-get install lazarus is always the 32bit
>> > version? Regardless of the Linux Version (32bit or 64bit).
>>
>> No. The reason for no 64-bit compiler is specific to Windows 64-bit.
>
> Then how to install a 32-bit Lazarus/FPC on a 64-bit Linux Debian
> System?

In general - talking about tools like apt, these provide means for
selecting the requested architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). Whether the
respective packages are ready for such tools is another question and
more appropriate for people responsible for packages in the individual
Linux distributions.

As far as FPC is concerned, there's nothing preventing you to install
the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Linux Debian system. I believe that
there's no ready-made package providing a 32-bit hosted 64-bit
cross-compiler for Linux in our builds at the moment, because it's
easier to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions side by side in cases
like this (i.e. the cross-compiler would be really needed only for users
interested in building 64-bit applications on a 32-bit machine, but
there probably aren't too many people with such a need and they can
always build it for themselves). I can't talk about Lazarus.

Tomas